Honestly,the ravages of being a medic have started to creep in. Down the road, I doubt that I'll be able to update the blog as regularly. And I have to refrain myself from writing too long (as if anyone has ever been bothered to read a long post). So Jo Tan, I'm sorry to disappoint you for a long account on the journey, given the current stage I'm at, is counter productive. Then again, it might be an excuse not to write long in the first place...
My first day was marred by an accident. A shaving accident to be precise. It had never occurred to me before but I was rather careless in the algid coldness of the bathroom so I lacerated the upper left corner of my lips. It's nothing serious really but the bleeding, which was close to being copious, was really irritating. I had to lie down and stem the flowing using a roll of toilet paper, all the same trying to contact Wan who, for some reasons, was unavailable. It kinda ruin my first lecture because the bleeding only properly stopped when it was about to begin. Panic must have gotten the better of me so I forgot to get a Band-It to cover the cut so it was tissue all the way until the flow was finally breached. Through the lecture, I began to imagine things. Improper care of the cut left me wondering of what kind of dire sickness will I contract. Have all the virulent pathogenic microorganisms exist on this God's green Earth invaded my body? In the end, I lost much of my focus on the day's lecture.
Anyways,I'd like to share a few little things about my current whereabouts that you should know about (and perhaps clear away the misconceptions that most of you uphold)...
#1. If you think that their city is squeaky clean without rubbish littering the pavement, then you're fatally wrong! The people DO litter liberally on the street. Although it's relatively clean at touristy spots, the same can't be said to most of the avenues or pavements. So, stop condemning fellow Malaysians for being irresponsible. However, the cleaning system here is really efficient. So, most of the rubbish end up at proper places...I think this makes all the difference. Otherwise, it's just like home...
#2. High street labels like Zara, Topman, Marks and Spencer are considerably cheaper here. And it's frequented by almost everyone so you don't have to brace yourself for high class,stiff lipped treatment when entering these stores. I got a hoodie from Zara for GBP29. A good bargain methinks. Even the seniors agreed. I doubt that you'll get such item at anything below than RM200 in Malaysia. Topman gives student's discount and at some outlets, they accept your university card and you'll get student's price cut on top of the available discount, if any. A sling bag from Adidas only cost GBP17. At prevailing exchange rate, that's RM 103. The same type might cost you more than RM150 back home.
#3. You can get two tubs of Haagen Dazs ice cream for GBP5. That's roughly RM30. A tub in Malaysia costs RM28. You can get two here.
#4. Classes DO start on time. Back in KY, it's only applicable to the Foords, Mr. Vroege or Mr. Hanson. I know that Mr. Highton would start at a much later time than the slated one.
#5. Cold tap water is perfectly potable. But DO NOT drink the hot water straight from the tap as it contains dissolved materials which can be harmful. There's a reason why you get a heater in your flats/halls.
#6. Don't convert everything to RM. You'll end up buying nothing.
I think this is all for now. So much for a short post eh?
To those who are still waiting (fidgeted-ly!) for their Visa or packing up stuff coz everything's confirmed, good luck and happy flying!
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
hey, glad to hear from u again!!! enjoying life, i see? so how's the cut? getting better?
Yep.Totally.This place is awesome!The cut?Uhm,nothing biggie.It's healing pretty well I s'ppose.The only thing is that my skin is getting drier and prone to bleed or form abrasion of some sort...
Post a Comment