Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Bibliophilic Me...

It's rather unfortunate of me to believe that Popular bookstore in Seremban is a better one than its rival, MPH. Certain that I wouldn't find the books that I have always wanted at MPH, I ventured to Popular instead. I know I won't regret purchasing Brainwash : The Secret History Of Mind Control (I heart macabre stuff. And it's a non-fiction!). If there's any, it would be the fact that I could not buy the four books which are high in the list of my must-haves. All of them were found at MPH and the discovery was too late for I had already procured the aforementioned book. A mission I would love to see accomplished: to come back with money to buy them.

Hajar @ Jojo Binx wanted to know which books made it to my top 5 of all time favourites, the books that I will reread for any number of times without ever getting bored. Here they are... (in no particular order)



1. Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro



This novel revolves around the lives of three friends who are - in the typical American label - special in every way. They are raised solely on the purpose of providing organs for normal people. Yes, this a story of clones. Fear not, it is not ridden with scientific mambo jumbo nor it is too preachy in its conviction. Although one might find the flow tad too draggy, the ending, I believe is guaranteed to leave a profound and lingering impact on the readers. I still felt the hangover of the powerful (and devastating) effect of the novel long after I've finished reading it.



2. We Need To Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver


Before reading this novel, make sure you have a dictionary handy. Verbose but eloquently told, it tells the story of a mother recuperating from the tragedy called Thursday. Her son killed eleven people on the eve of his sixteenth birthday. To make sense of her son's motivation to do such deed, she started a tedious correspondence with her estranged husband, dissecting the life and lies in the family prior to Thursday. Engaging, the novel triumphs in its mission to convey the message that evil is born, not built. What unnerves me is that I share so many common traits as the mother. Somehow, I think that this is a parental guidance book disguising as a clever fiction. It'll make those who want to start a family to think twice before making the leap...

3. Ordinary People - Judith Guest


I have raved about it in my previous post. I have little doubt that this novel will become a classic in the nearest future. An inexplicably aloof mother, a battling father and a recovering son make up a seemingly perfect family. A disaster in the recent past looms over the family, threatening to bring them under. It is wittily written and endearing right to the end. I still sympathise Conrad, the little brother who was once shadowed by his brother as he struggles to rebuild his life after the unexpected demise of the older brother and his botched suicide attempt. The novel offers more than an insight into a family shaken by a tragedy. It is a great tale of - as the title suggests - ordinary people.

4. Atonement - Ian McEwan

I earnestly think that the novel is a shade better than the movie. A simple lie, in many ways unexpected and unforeseen especially by the teller, led to the destruction of three lives. Heart wrenching and almost epic in its telling, this novel deserves the spot in the Time Top 100 novels of the century. The twist at the end increases its value.

5. Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows - JK Rowling

I know Hajar doesn't like the series but she's fully aware that the release of the highly anticipated novel fell on the same day as her birthday. To me, this is more than apt ending to the super popular series. It ties up all the loose ends, answers all questions convincingly, and above all, makes the whole idea of good trumping evil believable. It transcends the scope of a children book what with its darker tone and clever storyline. Heh, it also proves that Snape is a good guy through and through. The epilogue might appear cheesy but for fans like me, it is the best way to end the tale.

I have 5 other notable mentions: I Am Muslim - Dina Zaman, Kill The Messenger - Tami Hoag, Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire - JK Rowling, Out - Natsuo Kirino, and Freedomland - Richard Price.

No comments: