Sunday, July 20, 2008

Alone in the Dark is not a Joke!

It has always struck me as odd for people to go to a cinema alone. The absence of partner(s) reduces the joy of watching a movie significantly. I need partner(s) to lambaste the crappy script or wooden acting or heap praises whenever appropriate. Partners make all the difference I think.

I digressed.

On Saturday, all my reservations against seeing a movie alone took the backseat as I made it to the cinema all on my own. The Dark Knight exceeded all expectations although I am obliged to restrain myself from claiming it as the best Batman movie ever as I haven’t seen all the movies in the franchise. I admit, if I were ever to consider a career as film critic, I would never take the job to review a superheroes movie. I like X2 and X3, all the Spidey movies, and Hellboy. Contrary to critics’ views, I found Spiderman 3 and X3: The Last Stand were both highly entertaining and believable. X2 is touted as one of the best superheroes movie ever so I don’t have to feel guilty to like it so much and the first Hellboy (which was directed by the same guy who gave us the splendiferous Pan’s Labyrinth) also received rave reviews upon its release. My softer side on superheroes movies does not stem from my interest in comic books though. Make no mistake, I’m not a kleptomaniac. Again, another digression.

The main draw to watch The Dark Knight is Heath Ledger’s swansong as The Joker. Heath is (or should it be was now he’s six feet under?) the real showstopper and personally, his portrayal as The Joker is the only reason why the movie is so great. In fact, he eclipsed the Batman and I was left desiring for more screen presence of the Joker. Twisted, he was replete with energy and ingenuity that put him a notch above everyone else in the premise. Never had a villain been played so convincingly (with the exception of Dr. Hannibal (Anthony Hopkins’ Oscar winning act) in Silence of the Lambs, Javier Bardem’s senseless evil as Anton whatshisname in No Country for Old Men, and the insufferably coldhearted Amon Goth (Ralph Fiennes) who shot people using his sniper rifle while having breakfast in Schindler’s List) as Heath. IMHO, he deserves the posthumous Oscar. Peter Finch was awarded the Best Actor Oscar for playing the character that coined the famous quote “I’m mad as hell and I won’t take it anymore” in Network (a film that swept three Oscar acting awards, a remarkable feat achieved by so few movies) a few months after his demise. So why can’t he be awarded the same honour?

One might easily jump into conclusion that the film is just another high octane, fast paced action flick from Hollywood but unlike, say, Wanted, the film was not without substance. The issues tackled are far from being superficial. A scene clearly exhibits that at times of desperation, even the so-called civilized and sane people will not haste to ensure survival even at the expense of others who they deem as lesser mortals. Someone with a very strong will too, if subjected to relentless pressures, can have his principles crumbled as shown by a major character in the movie (which gives birth to another super villain towards the end of the movie). Also, God doesn’t play with dice in the matters of governing the universe…

Overall, the film, if not the best in 2008, will go down the history as one of the most successful superheroes movies ever.

Give Heath the Oscar already!

No comments: