Friday, January 16, 2009

"It's out there that I get hurt"

It's the silly season again. By that I'm not referring to the wads of rejection/pool letters from a certain, very much revered institution which might have arrived in carts at the wonderful Puan Kas' office this time around. Nor that I'm commenting on the much talked returner's week. I'm talking about the awards season. To me, Hollywood is in a precarious position. The ongoing development in the world somehow requires me to shun this very potent type of opium, at least until it subsides. Many of the studios are founded or linked to Israel and it would be politically incorrect and humanly insensitive to show undivided support to them. Indeed it's a grave embarrassment to note that I'm more keen to keep tab on who's in the Oscar race than the racing number of deaths in Gaza. Shame on my self...

Another post abound with digressions so let's get back on the track. As I said, it's the time when the bigwigs at Hollywood decide to release films that are conspicuously groomed for the prizes. Heavy dramas and epics which are scrawled all over with the print "Oscar material" in glaring red paint swamp the cinemas and attract the crowd in droves. Some of them are downright pretentious with A-listers spearheading them with storyline that is difficult to swallow and set at an agonizingly slow pace while others camouflaged under the banner of indie flick that most of them are so indie that they are almost a work of art. The tactic is a well worn one. It's a pattern that most studios follow if they want to guarantee their films to win awards. It's not a bad thing but it's kinda obvious that the movies which are released in December/January are tailor made for the awards while summer blockbusters are just meant to be - well - blockbusters.

Anyways, I went to see The Wrestler last night with Jal. I was planning to see Slumdog Millionaire this week but after finding out that The Wrestler would be released on Friday, I was so excited that I deferred the previous intention. The story goes like this, a has-been wrestler who's on his way out tries to reconnect with people around him and make amendments along the way. His life is in total shambles; his meagre salary doing minor stints at minor ring is just sufficient to sustain his drug requirements and he has to do overtime at the store he works at to cope. He lives in a trailer park which can easily typecast him as a low end white thrash. He's given a chance to reclaim the former glory but an obstacle protrudes out of nowhere and threatens to take away this dream. I must not spoil the story so that you can make an effort to see the movie.

I honestly think that the movie is brilliant. I might come across as a biased prick to say that because I'm a huge fan of wrestling (I can hear from somewhere someone's brain whizzing hysterically in an attempt to digest this information). But you don't have to be a wrestling fan to appreciate this movie. I know that Jal is not even remotely interested in wrestling but she still considers it as a very effective picture. To quote her, the emotions are balanced in a way that none is over expressed at the expense of another. It's a tear jerker but it does it in a very subtle manner. It's not the desperate plea of the main character who wants to rebuilds his life that tears at the heart but its the insufferable loneliness that echoes throughout the movie that does. And who could have thought that a blood lusting wrestler who's hellbent to destroy his opponent with barbed wire and glass panes can be courteous, thoughtful, and sensitive?

The mechanics of wrestling are also on display in this movie. We all know that the outcome is fixed before the match takes place, the moves discussed among the wrestlers, and a tiny shard of razor blade is used to cause bleeding. What surprises me is the independent circuits do that too because if memory serves me well, all those are the tricks used by WWE and the likes. Oh yeah, if you're faint hearted, there is an extended scene of a really brutal match in the movie which leaves both wrestlers in a crimson bath. The stage is Combat Zone Wrestling, a real life company that pits wrestlers in bizarre dangerous matches where stapler gun, barbed wire (2 by 4 in the States), weed cutter and other sick instruments normally present in some tacky slash/horror movies are staples in the ring.

I highly recommend this movie despite its chances to be noticed by the academy for the best picture league is as slim as Triple H's chances to wrestle the gold away from Jeff Hardy in the near future. Mickey Rourke should be commended with an Oscar for his amazing portrayal as 'a broken piece of meat'. I don't care with people wanting Sean Penn to take home the statuette. Come to think of it, he's already won one and it's a quiet recent victory too. And he didn't have to spare his body to play an effeminate role in Milk. Kudos to Marisa Tomei and Evan Rachel Wood too. Marisa should at least be nominated for Best Supporting Actress. She dares to bare all.

My final verdict: 5 out of 5 (is it possible to give it a half more?)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

shambles, i macam nak gelak je baca this word. harusla aqtar bg u anugerah for correct usage. well, i dunno, sometimes, there are things i do find hard to boycott. Its too much incorporated into our daily lives. yes we can live without it, undoubtedly but i dont really have much will to begin with. so, shame on me too. No worries mate, u r not alone.

KyleWorthington said...

I know The Wrestler is a good movie, and believe it or not, I actually had (or still has, rather) a crush on Mickey Rourke despite his disfigurement or whatever you want to call it.

And Marisa Tomei...she deserves an award. I was reticent to watch it in the theatres because of the nudity (she plays a stripper, does she not?) -- I think I'd squirm, although I'm trying to convince myself that I'm open minded. I'll watch it comfortably at home.

Btw, I reckon I'd still use the products if I had bought it before I knew about their backgrounds...but I won't buy them again, if you know what I mean.

the game said...

Oh wow,I never knew that you actually have a crush on Mr. Rourke.

There were a few topless scenes as you can pretty well imagine.

I'm doing the same too.It's plain unwise to discard the things that we have already bought simply because we want to be seen as a staunch follower of the movement..

KyleWorthington said...

One might wonder what other surprises I'd pop up with next time, eh?

Mr. Rourke (what's with the formalities?) was quite a heartthrob in his younger years, I must admit. I like him more now, though.

Edgier. Tougher.

the game said...

Have you seen the movie?

KyleWorthington said...

No, I have to shamefully admit that I have not. The last Mickey Rourke movie I watched was Domino, believe it or not. Although...I've been watching various random clips of it...

Yay for the Oscar nod, though.